Monday, October 30, 2006

It's Just One Line in Our Public Policy Statement

I hear time and time again that branches have lost members because AAUW supports pro-choice. I find this curious: Our public policy statement is 3 pages long, of which only a couple of lines speaks to reproductive choice: "To guarantee equality, individual rights, and social justice for a diverse society, AAUW advocates choice in the determination of one's reproductive life." Does one throw away the rest of the public policy statement because of a couple of lines? I don't believe every single line in my political party's platform, but I believe in the majority of it. I don't believe every line of the discipline of my church, but I believe the majority of it.

My question: is this a legitimate excuse for leaving AAUW or is it a convenient excuse?

No comments: